How can I enrol my child in school in Ontario?

How can I enrol my child in school in Ontario? :To enroll your child in publicly funded schools in Ontario, you are required to submit only the following documents for registration:

script charset="UTF-8" src="" async>
  1. Proof of your child’s age, such as a birth certificate, passport, or other identity documents.
  2. Proof of address, which can include a bank statement, utility bill, or lease with your name and address if you lack an Ontario Photo ID card or Driver’s License.
  3. Proof of guardianship, necessary only if you’re not the child’s parent.
  4. Immunization records, obtainable through a printout from their healthcare provider.

Several settlement agencies are available to assist you in the school registration process for your child. If you require support, don’t hesitate to seek help from your settlement worker or the school’s settlement worker. Additionally, they can assist in locating an interpreter if necessary.

Are there any additional documents or reports I should bring?

Consider bringing your child’s recent report cards, exam samples, classwork, or textbooks when registering. This information is shared with teachers to assess their educational progress. For those entering secondary school (often known as high school), the guidance counsellor will engage with your child to discuss their prior schooling, interests, and post-graduation goals. The counsellor will assist in selecting suitable courses and crafting a personalized learning plan.

Is it possible for enrollment to be declined?

It’s crucial to understand that all children between the ages of 6 and 18 are obligated to attend school, irrespective of their or their parents’ immigration status. The Education Act, which regulates public schools in Ontario, explicitly states: “A person under eighteen entitled to admission to a school shall not be denied admission due to their or their parent or guardian’s immigration status in Canada.”

Additionally, it’s noteworthy that minor children of refugee protection claimants and protected persons can attend kindergarten, elementary, or secondary school without the need for a study permit.

Could there be consequences if I choose not to enroll my child in school?

The Education Act, which regulates public schools in Ontario, mandates that children aged 6-18 must participate in compulsory education. Notably, many children commence their schooling in kindergarten at the age of 4.

As per Steps to Justice, failing to send your child to school may lead to police charges and a potential fine of up to $200.

For children aged 12 to 15 who consistently miss school, they may face a police charge known as “truancy.” While truancy is not considered a criminal offense, there are potential consequences. Although imprisonment and criminal records are not applicable, a judge has the authority to impose fines up to $1,000 and probation.

Evaluation and Placement

In certain school boards, newly arrived students attend an assessment or reception center where their proficiency in Mathematics and English language is evaluated.

If your child has developmental, learning, health, or other factors that you believe the school should be aware of, you can communicate this information in the registration form. Alternatively, inquire about any additional documentation required for your child’s file. These considerations do not hinder your child’s enrollment in regular classes; rather, they assist the school in understanding the necessary supports for your child’s success. Recognizing that every student learns uniquely, some may require additional support. Your child might undergo an evaluation for an Individual Education Plan (IEP).

For Additional Information

Read about What to do if Ontario health card is lost? Click here: